Light on the Hill’s Response to COVID-19
Like many communities around the world, at Light on the Hill we are carefully monitoring the unfolding events related to COVID-19. We are holding all those affected by this situation in our hearts.
Light on the Hill has instituted a set of procedures in order to minimize transmission of COVID-19, in compliance with New York State Department of Health and CDC guidelines. We ask all guests to observe these procedures for the duration of their stay at Light on the Hill.
For those who are fully vaccinated (at least two weeks after your second vaccine dose of Moderna or Pfizer, or at least two weeks after your single dose of J&J): If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
For those who have recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection in the last three months: If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
For all others: If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, if you have been in close physical contact in the last 14 days with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or has symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or if you are currently waiting on the results of a COVID-19 test, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
Our cottages are open for individual retreats, and Stillpoint Sanctuary is open by appointment for meditation. Inner Light Lodge is open for group retreats. We have adjusted our maximum group size in accordance with CDC guidelines. We follow CDC guidelines to disinfect all of these spaces.
See below for more details about our procedures during COVID-19. As information changes, we will update this page.
You may access Chemung County Health Department updates, including the number of cases, here.
The Meadow Cottage, Woods Cottage, Pathlight Cottage, and Pond Hut are available for individual retreats. Spiritual Director Alice McDowell is available to guide individuals who wish to have full or partial guidance (maintaining a 6ft+ distance).
In compliance with New York State and CDC guidelines, we sanitize high-touch surfaces between visitors. We also maintain a minimum buffer of 24 hours between guests.
To book your retreat, please complete our Plan Your Individual Retreat Form. We will contact you to adjust dates as necessary to avoid booking conflicts and to maintain the 24-hour buffer between guests.
At this time during the COVID-19 pandemic, Light on the Hill is unable to provide food for individual retreats. We will update this page as soon as the situation changes.
Stillpoint remains open for individuals seeking silence and space for meditation. To schedule an appointment, contact Christy at 607.589.4419 or email@example.com. Note that Inner Light Lodge is open only for members of group retreats. For the sake of public health and safety, we cannot offer restroom access at the Lodge for those who visit Stillpoint Sanctuary.
The availability of COVID-19 vaccines has opened up new possibilities for group gatherings at Light on the Hill. We celebrate that the vaccines are helping to protect people from the virus. We are pleased that the Light on the Hill staff is fully vaccinated.
We recognize that some people choose not to be vaccinated. To preserve the health of all of our guests and staff, we have implemented a two-track system for group retreats, effective June 2021. Group leaders are expected to inform their retreat participants which track their retreat group is following, and to share with them Light on the Hill’s policies for that track, as well as the general policies.
We ask all participants to observe the policies for their retreat track, as well as the general policies, for the duration of their stay at Light on the Hill.
Track 1: Mixed Vaccination Group: Some, but not all, of the group’s participants are fully vaccinated, OR the participants’ vaccination status is not known by the group leader.
- Per CDC guidance, Light on the Hill’s policy is that unvaccinated participants wear masks and maintain social distance in the public spaces inside the buildings (with the exception that masks may be removed while eating). Fully vaccinated participants are welcome, but not required, to wear masks and maintain social distance.
- The group size is limited by the group’s activity and by social distance requirements in our large meeting room:
- Maximum size of 19 – for seated groups (19 = the number of chairs that fit in the large meeting room with social distancing, in two concentric circles)
- Maximum size of 11 – for yoga groups (11 = the number of yoga mats that fit in the room with social distancing)
Track 2: Fully Vaccinated Group: Group leader and participants are all fully vaccinated.
- Light on the Hill’s policy is that participants in a fully vaccinated group must submit proof of vaccination to the group leader. The group leader is required to inspect all vaccination credentials and attest (on a signed document) that everyone in the group is vaccinated. Per CDC guidance, participants are welcome, but not required, to wear masks and maintain social distance in the lodge.
- The group size is limited only by the number of available beds in the lodge. Inner Light Lodge has eighteen individual guest rooms, four double rooms, and bunk beds and extra sleeping space in our small meeting room, for a maximum group size of 30. Larger groups may reserve additional space in our cottages and huts.
General Policies for All Group Retreats
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Light on the Hill is observing the following policies to maintain a healthy environment for our guests.
- Post markers on the floor in common spaces to remind retreatants of social distancing.
- Clean restrooms and sanitize high-touch surfaces in the lodge daily.
- Follow guidance provided by New York State regarding food preparation and food service.
- Provide hand sanitizer and masks.
GROUP LEADERS AND RETREAT PARTICIPANTS WILL:
- Stay home if they are sick.
- Observe the specific policies for their retreat track.
- Only use the specific toilet, sink, and shower assigned to them.
- Place an “occupied” sign on the restroom door if they would like to have single-occupancy (no one else will enter the restroom while the sign is on the door).
- Not enter a restroom if an “occupied” sign is on the door.
- Wash hands frequently, especially after using the restroom and before meals.
- Wear a mask and maintain social distance in public spaces inside Light on the Hill buildings if they are not fully vaccinated.
If you would like to schedule a group retreat at Light on the Hill, please contact Managing Director Christy Croxall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607.589.4419 to discuss our current policies and to select dates for your retreat.