Light on the Hill’s Response to COVID-19
Like many communities around the world, at Light on the Hill we are carefully monitoring the unfolding events related to COVID-19. We are holding all those affected by this situation in our hearts.
Light on the Hill has implemented a set of procedures to protect the health of all who come here during the pandemic.
If you have a temperature above 100.4F, are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have not been cleared to discontinue isolation, are under evaluation for COVID-19, or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive in the last fourteen days, we ask that you not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
If you have traveled from or within any state non-contiguous to New York, or internationally, you are required to quarantine upon entry into New York for fourteen days OR follow the test-out procedures outlined on the New York COVID-19 Travel Advisory website. You may not come to Light on the Hill during your quarantine period or before you receive two negative COVID-19 tests (one test within three days prior to arriving in New York, one test on day 4 after you return). See the COVID-19 Travel Advisory information here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory.
Our cottages are open for individual retreats, and Stillpoint Sanctuary is open by appointment for meditation. We reopened Inner Light Lodge in late July 2020 for group retreats. We have adjusted our maximum group size in accordance with New York State Department of Health guidelines for Religious Services and Food Services. Our staff is following CDC guidelines to disinfect all of these spaces.
See below for more details about our procedures during COVID-19. As information changes, we will update this page.
You may access Chemung County Health Department updates, including the number of cases, here.
The Meadow Cottage, Woods Cottage, and Pond Hut are available for individual retreats. Spiritual Director Alice McDowell is available to guide individuals who wish to have full or partial guidance (maintaining a 6ft+ distance).
In compliance with New York State and CDC guidelines, we sanitize high-touch surfaces, bedding, door handles, etc., between visitors. We also maintain a minimum buffer of 24 hours between guests.
To book your retreat, please complete our Plan Your Individual Retreat Form. We will contact you to adjust dates as necessary to avoid booking conflicts and to maintain the 24-hour buffer between guests.
At this time during the COVID-19 pandemic, Light on the Hill is unable to provide food for individual retreats. We will update this page as soon as the situation changes.
Stillpoint remains open for individuals seeking silence and space for meditation. To schedule an appointment, contact Christy at 607.589.4419 or email@example.com. Note that Inner Light Lodge is open only for members of group retreats. For the sake of public health and safety, we cannot offer restroom access at the Lodge for those who visit Stillpoint Sanctuary.
Inner Light Lodge is open for group retreats.
Light on the Hill has instituted the procedures below for group retreats in order to minimize transmission of COVID-19, in compliance with New York State Department of Health guidelines. We ask all participants to observe these procedures for the duration of their stay at Light on the Hill. (Light on the Hill’s New York Forward Safety Plan is posted in Inner Light Lodge.)
COVID-19 PROCEDURES AT LIGHT ON THE HILL
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask the following.
LIGHT ON THE HILL STAFF WILL:
- Post markers on the floor in common spaces to remind retreatants to observe proper social distancing.
- Follow guidance provided by New York State regarding food preparation and service.
- Arrange Dining Room chairs and tables for proper social distancing during meals.
- Disinfect the following in the Lodge at least daily:
- Public door handles
- Light switches
- Window cranks in common rooms
- Bathroom faucets
- Bathroom stall door latches
- Toilet flush levers
- Tables and chairs
- Other high touch areas
- Disinfect the following in Stillpoint Sanctuary at least daily:
- Door handles
- Light switches
- Provide a thermometer at the check-in station.
- Provide hand sanitizer and masks (for those who forget their own masks).
- Provide personalized OCCUPIED signs for each retreatant to use for restrooms.
GROUP LEADERS WILL:
- Communicate COVID-19 procedures to retreatants prior to retreat and answer questions.
- Remind retreatants to bring their own masks.
- Coordinate with the Managing Director to mark and arrange the Large Meeting Room according to group needs and proper social distancing (i.e. at least six feet between participants’ chairs, mats, cushions, etc.).
- Follow Light on the Hill, Inner Light Lodge, and Stillpoint Sanctuary procedures throughout retreat (see below).
- Complete health check form upon arrival.
- Assign retreatants to a specific toilet, sink, and shower to use throughout the retreat. Communicate these assignments to retreatants upon their arrival. Distribute personalized OCCUPIED signs to each retreatant. Collect and return these at the end of the retreat.
- Take the temperature of each retreatant upon arrival.
- Collect health check forms from each retreatant and give to Managing Director.
- Weather-permitting, open windows for air circulation instead of using AC. Please only open halfway.
- Notify Light on the Hill’s Managing Director if any retreatant is diagnosed with or tests positive for COVID-19 within fourteen days after the retreat ends.
- Complete health check form upon arrival.
- Follow these Light on the Hill procedures:
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet) at all times from others when you are on the property, unless you are members of the same household.
- If singing, maintain at least twelve feet of distance from others.
- If you must come within six feet of another person, (or twelve feet if singing) wear a face covering, unless you are members of the same household.
- Follow these Inner Light Lodge procedures throughout retreat:
- Use only the toilet stall, sink, and shower assigned to you.
- Post your personalized OCCUPIED sign on the restroom door when you enter (so that no one else enters the room while you’re occupying it).
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet) within the Lodge at all times. Use markers on floor as a guide.
- Wear a mask/face covering in the public areas of the Lodge at all times (including in dining room, small meeting room, large meeting room, and entrance). The only exception is when seated in the dining room eating a meal.
- Consider the corridors as one-lane bridges; step back to allow someone walking toward you to exit the hallway before you enter.
- Follow the protocol regarding the beverage station: Use hand sanitizer before operating the dispenser and use only clean glasses or mugs.
- Observe these Stillpoint Sanctuary procedures throughout the retreat:
- Only one person may enter Stillpoint at a time.
- Post your OCCUPIED sign on the door when you enter.
- Use hand sanitizer when you enter and leave.
- Notify your retreat leader if you test positive for or are diagnosed with COVID-19 within fourteen days after attending the retreat.
The health and well-being of retreatants, teachers, and staff are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor conditions and take appropriate actions to keep our retreat spaces safe for all.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at 607.589.4419, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.