Light on the Hill’s Response to COVID-19
Like many communities around the world, at Light on the Hill we are carefully monitoring the unfolding events related to COVID-19. We are holding all those affected by this situation in our hearts.
Light on the Hill has instituted a set of procedures in order to minimize transmission of COVID-19, in compliance with New York State Department of Health and CDC guidelines. We ask all guests to observe these procedures for the duration of their stay at Light on the Hill.
We have instituted health screening guidelines from the CDC for our staff and guests. Please read the information below before you come to Light on the Hill.
For those who are fully vaccinated (at least two weeks after your second vaccine dose of Moderna or Pfizer, or at least two weeks after your single dose of J&J): If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
For those who have recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection in the last three months: If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
For all others: If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19, if you have been in close physical contact in the last 14 days with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or has symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or if you are currently waiting on the results of a COVID-19 test, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
Our cottages are open for individual retreats, and Stillpoint Sanctuary is open by appointment for meditation. We reopened Inner Light Lodge in late July 2020 for group retreats. We have adjusted our maximum group size in accordance with New York State Department of Health guidelines for Religious Services and Food Services. Our staff is following CDC guidelines to disinfect all of these spaces.
See below for more details about our procedures during COVID-19. As information changes, we will update this page.
You may access Chemung County Health Department updates, including the number of cases, here.
The Meadow Cottage, Woods Cottage, Pathlight Cottage, and Pond Hut are available for individual retreats. Spiritual Director Alice McDowell is available to guide individuals who wish to have full or partial guidance (maintaining a 6ft+ distance).
In compliance with New York State and CDC guidelines, we sanitize high-touch surfaces, bedding, door handles, etc., between visitors. We also maintain a minimum buffer of 24 hours between guests.
To book your retreat, please complete our Plan Your Individual Retreat Form. We will contact you to adjust dates as necessary to avoid booking conflicts and to maintain the 24-hour buffer between guests.
At this time during the COVID-19 pandemic, Light on the Hill is unable to provide food for individual retreats. We will update this page as soon as the situation changes.
Stillpoint remains open for individuals seeking silence and space for meditation. To schedule an appointment, contact Christy at 607.589.4419 or email@example.com. Note that Inner Light Lodge is open only for members of group retreats. For the sake of public health and safety, we cannot offer restroom access at the Lodge for those who visit Stillpoint Sanctuary.
Inner Light Lodge is open for group retreats.
Light on the Hill has instituted the procedures below for group retreats in order to minimize transmission of COVID-19, in compliance with New York State Department of Health and CDC guidelines. We ask all participants to observe these procedures for the duration of their stay at Light on the Hill. (Light on the Hill’s New York Forward Safety Plan is posted in Inner Light Lodge.)
COVID-19 PROCEDURES AT LIGHT ON THE HILL
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask the following.
LIGHT ON THE HILL STAFF WILL:
- Post markers on the floor in common spaces to remind retreatants to observe proper social distancing.
- Follow guidance provided by New York State regarding cleaning, food preparation, and food service.
- Arrange Dining Room chairs and tables for proper social distancing during meals.
- Provide a thermometer at the check-in station.
- Provide hand sanitizer and masks (for those who forget their own masks).
- Provide personalized OCCUPIED signs for each retreatant to use for restrooms.
GROUP LEADERS WILL:
- Communicate COVID-19 procedures to retreatants prior to retreat and answer questions.
- Remind retreatants to bring their own masks.
- Coordinate with the Managing Director to mark and arrange the Large Meeting Room according to group needs and proper social distancing (i.e. at least six feet between participants’ chairs, mats, cushions, etc.).
- Follow Light on the Hill, Inner Light Lodge, and Stillpoint Sanctuary procedures throughout retreat (see below).
- Complete health check form upon arrival.
- Assign retreatants to a specific toilet, sink, and shower to use throughout the retreat. Communicate these assignments to retreatants upon their arrival. Distribute personalized OCCUPIED signs to each retreatant. Collect and return these at the end of the retreat.
- Take the temperature of each retreatant upon arrival.
- Collect health check forms from each retreatant and give to Managing Director.
- Weather-permitting, open windows for air circulation instead of using AC. Please only open halfway.
- Notify Light on the Hill’s Managing Director if any retreatant is diagnosed with or tests positive for COVID-19 within fourteen days after the retreat ends.
- Complete health check form upon arrival.
- Follow these Light on the Hill procedures:
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet) at all times from others when you are on the property, unless you are members of the same household.
- If singing, maintain at least twelve feet of distance from others.
- If you must come within six feet of another person, (or twelve feet if singing) wear a face covering, unless you are members of the same household.
- Follow these Inner Light Lodge procedures throughout retreat:
- Use only the toilet stall, sink, and shower assigned to you.
- Post your personalized OCCUPIED sign on the restroom door when you enter (so that no one else enters the room while you’re occupying it).
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet) within the Lodge at all times. Use markers on floor as a guide.
- Wear a mask/face covering in the public areas of the Lodge at all times (including in dining room, small meeting room, large meeting room, and entrance). The only exception is when seated in the dining room eating a meal.
- Consider the corridors as one-lane bridges; step back to allow someone walking toward you to exit the hallway before you enter.
- Follow the protocol regarding the beverage station: Use hand sanitizer before operating the dispenser and use only clean glasses or mugs.
- Observe these Stillpoint Sanctuary procedures throughout the retreat:
- Only one person may enter Stillpoint at a time.
- Post your OCCUPIED sign on the door when you enter.
- Use hand sanitizer when you enter and leave.
- Notify your retreat leader if you test positive for or are diagnosed with COVID-19 within fourteen days after attending the retreat.
The health and well-being of retreatants, teachers, and staff are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor conditions and take appropriate actions to keep our retreat spaces safe for all.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at 607.589.4419, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.