Light on the Hill’s Response to COVID-19
Light on the Hill is blessed to be able to continue to offer in-person retreats for both individuals and groups during the pandemic.
If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms or if you are isolating or quarantining because you have tested positive for COVID-19, do not come to Light on the Hill. Please seek proper medical care and contact your local health department for guidance on how to quarantine and/or isolate.
Our cottages are open for individual and small group retreats, and Stillpoint Sanctuary is open for meditation. Inner Light Lodge is open for large group retreats. We follow CDC guidelines to disinfect all of these spaces.
You are welcome to visit Light on the Hill any time, dawn to dusk, to walk the labyrinths and trails.
You may access Chemung County Health Department updates, including the number of cases, here.
Light on the Hill COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
(updated 1 April 2023)
Our highest priority is to preserve the health of all who come here. Light on the Hill has updated its policies for guests and staff to account for the emerging science about the spread of COVID-19. We have developed these policies in accordance with guidance from New York State Department of Health and Center for Disease Control.
Light on the Hill COVID-19 Policies
- Each volunteer, guest, and employee must complete a Health Check Form on the day they are scheduled to arrive at Light on the Hill (either prior to or upon arrival) and abide by its guidance.
- A volunteer, guest, or employee who exhibits symptoms prior to a scheduled retreat or work shift must not come to Light on the Hill.
- A volunteer, guest, or employee who develops symptoms while attending a retreat, volunteering, or working a shift must depart Light on the Hill.
- Each guest, volunteer, and employee may choose to wear a mask in Stillpoint Sanctuary.
- Each guest, volunteer, and employee may choose to wear a mask in the public spaces of Inner Light Lodge, including the hallways, restrooms, entranceway, and dining room. The kitchen and meeting rooms are not considered public spaces.
Additional Group Retreat Policies
Group leaders will assume responsibility for determining additional COVID-19 policies for their groups, including whether masking will be required in the large and small meeting rooms and whether participants will be required to show proof of vaccination, boosters, and/or pre-arrival testing (PCR or rapid antigen). Light on the Hill assumes no responsibility for decisions made by group leaders and will not be held liable for any illness resulting from participation in any event or activity at Light on the Hill.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Light on the Hill is observing the following protocols to maintain a healthy environment for our guests.
- Cleaning restrooms and sanitizing high-touch surfaces in the lodge daily during group retreats.
- Deep cleaning the lodge, cottages, and huts between guests or groups.
- Following guidance provided by New York State regarding food preparation and food service.
- Providing hand sanitizer and masks in the lodge.
If you would like to schedule a group retreat at Light on the Hill, please contact Managing Director Julie Schnepel at email@example.com or 607.589.4419 to discuss our current policies and to select dates for your retreat.
Individual and Small Group Retreats
The Meadow Cottage, Woods Cottage, Pathlight Cottage, Pond Hut, and Healing Hut are available for individual and small group retreats. Spiritual Director Alice McDowell is available to guide individuals who wish to have full or partial guidance.
In compliance with New York State and CDC guidelines, we sanitize high-touch surfaces between visitors.
To book your retreat, please complete our Plan Your Individual Retreat Form. We will contact you to adjust dates as necessary to avoid booking conflicts.
Individual and Small Group Retreat guests must agree to observe the following policies:
- Stay home if they are sick.
- Complete a health check form on the day their retreat begins, either prior to or upon arrival at Light on the Hill, and follow its guidance.
Stillpoint remains open for individuals seeking silence and space for meditation. Note that Inner Light Lodge is open only for members of group retreats. For the sake of public health and safety, we cannot offer restroom access at the Lodge for those who visit Stillpoint Sanctuary.
Walking the Land and Labyrinths
You are welcome to visit Light on the Hill any time, dawn to dusk, to walk the labyrinths and trails. Solace can often be found in a familiar place in nature, and many have found the walking meditation of the labyrinth to bring much needed guidance or a sense of peace.