Thank you for your interest in working at Light on the Hill. We are currently reviewing applications for a Kitchen Manager. See below for details. For consideration, send a resume and letter of interest to:
Light on the Hill
209 Blake Hill Road
Van Etten, NY 14889
We are not currently hiring for other positions, though we welcome anyone interested in a part-time cooking to send a resume and letter of interest.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for overseeing the kitchen and meal preparation and ensuring that Light on the Hill provides nourishing, delicious vegetarian food for our guests. The role includes managing all aspects of food preparation and service, including inventory, purchasing, kitchen organization and cleanliness, scheduling staff for cooking shifts, and communicating with kitchen staff, as well as cooking 3-4 meals per retreat weekend.
The position is part-time (13-26 hours per week). Shifts will primarily be on the weekends (Friday through Sunday), with some additional hours on Mondays (not on site) and Thursdays (picking up supplies). The successful candidate will have (or will cultivate) appreciation for the organization’s mission. The wage is $20-$22/hour, depending on experience.
- Keep an accurate inventory of staple goods in the kitchen pantry, cooler, and freezer
- Work with kitchen staff to develop healthy, appetizing menus, using fresh and local ingredients and stocked staple goods while also containing costs
- Place periodic wholesale orders to restock staples
- Communicate with kitchen staff regarding menus and ingredient lists prior to each retreat group
- Purchase produce and perishables for each retreat group
- Ensure that kitchen is clean and organized—both foodstuff and cooking ware
- Supervise kitchen staff, in conjunction with Managing Director
- Train kitchen staff in health and safety guidelines
- Create cooking schedule for upcoming retreats
- Serve as backup for kitchen staff for unplanned shift changes
- Work 3-4 cooking shifts per retreat; plan and prepare meal using mostly whole food, vegetarian ingredients for 15-40 people; clean kitchen, kitchen equipment, and dining room tables following the conclusion of meal
- Breakfast served at 8am, cooking shift 6am – 9:30am
- Lunch served at 12:15 or 12:30pm, cooking shift 10am – 2:30pm
- Dinner served at 6 or 6:30pm, cooking shift 3pm – 8:00pm
- Answer kitchen staff’s queries about inventory and kitchen organization
- Observe and enforce health department policies and other protocols for the health and safety of staff and guests
- Track and report maintenance issues
- Make recommendations regarding creating a welcoming experience for guests
- Organize meal plans for individual retreatants; prepare meals; deliver meals as necessary
- Participate in occasional all-staff meetings, either in-person or via Zoom
- Commercial cooking experience
- Experience managing inventory and purchasing
- Experience with vegetarian meal preparation for groups (16+ people)
- Supervision/staff management experience
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from the retreat center
- Strong communication skills to interface with Managing Director and other staff
- Facility with Google Drive documents for shared communications
- Attention to detail and orientation toward customer service
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
For consideration, please email/mail a resume and letter of interest to Managing Director Christy Croxall at email@example.com by June 18, 2021.
Cooks and Assistant Cooks
While we are not actively seeking more Cooks and Assistant Cooks for group retreats at the present time, we are happy to be contacted by interested individuals who feel they may be interested in supporting Light on the Hill’s mission through cooking. Click here to access a full job description. Interested individuals may contact Managing Director Christy Croxall via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to submit a resume and letter of interest.